Matthew A. Lopes Jr.
E-mail MeMatthew A. Lopes Jr.
866-353-3310 (Toll Free)
Matthew A. Lopes Jr. is a Partner with Pannone Lopes Devereaux & West LLC. He is a nationally recognized Special Master for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California, in the matter of Coleman v. Brown, overseeing prison reform and compliance with orders of the Court concerning care of seriously mentally ill inmates. As Special Master, Mr. Lopes heads a team of two deputy special masters, nine mental health clinical experts, three mental health management/custodial experts, and six monitors. Mr. Lopes' work as Special Master involves confronting complex constitutional law issues relating to the Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. He assists the Coleman parties and the court in the design and implementation of mandatory mental health screening, diagnosis, and treatment of the approximately 30,000 mentally ill prisoners throughout the 33 institutions within the California prison system. He also reports extensively to the Coleman court on his findings in the California prisons, as well as on other issues as ordered by the court. Mr. Lopes' experience in court oversight of correctional systems extends back over twenty-six years of continuous work in the area of court-ordered prison reform, as a special master, deputy special master, or court monitor, in three additional major remedial correctional cases under the supervision of the United States District Courts of Texas, Georgia, and Rhode Island.
In addition to his practice as a Special Master, Mr. Lopes leads the firm's Alternative Dispute Resolution and Government & Legislative Strategies Teams. He has over 20 years of government affairs and legislative advocacy experience. Mr. Lopes possesses a unique blend of legal, analytical, and relationship skills, which he credibly employs in assisting clients with their government relations, lobbying and legislative/strategic planning needs. He combines legal expertise with a common sense and pragmatic approach to problem-solving and has a loyal and long-standing government relations client base, representing organizations ranging from Fortune 100 companies to closely held businesses, including businesses within the industry of health care, pharmaceuticals, and transportation.
Mr. Lopes earned his J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania Law School and his Bachelor's Degree from Dartmouth College. He is admitted to practice law in the State of Rhode Island.
Areas of Practice
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Government & Legislative Strategies
- Special Masterships
- Rhode Island, 1988
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 1987
- Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire
- A.B. - 1984
Honors and Awards
- Casque and Gauntlet Sr. Honor Society
- East Providence Hall of Fame
- Rhode Island International Athlete Scholar Hall of Fame
- Providence Gridiron Hall of Fame
- Cape Verdean Gala Hall of Fame
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Potomac Coalition
- State Law Resources, Inc.
- Rhode Island Bar Association/Committee on Minority Involvement
- Thurgood Marshall Law Society of Rhode Island
- American Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce
- East Greenwich Chamber of Commerce
- Northern Rhode Island Chamber of Commerce
- Harmony Hill Advisory Board
- Alpha Phi Alpha