Brian J. Lamoureux
Brian J. Lamoureux
866-353-3310 (Toll Free)
Brian J. Lamoureux is a Partner with Pannone Lopes Devereaux & West LLC and a member of the Employment, Litigation and Corporate & Business Teams. He is also Practioner Faculty in Management (Business Law) at Providence College, his alma mater.
His extensive practice areas include complex commercial litigation, employment law, social media law, and creditors' rights. In addition to being an accomplished business litigator, he has developed into a nationally-recognized voice on cutting-edge legal issues relating to social media. He is a frequent presenter, published author, and broadcast commentator on the topic and regularly appears on WPRI-TV, NBC10 and NECN-TV, the nation's largest 24-hour regional news network. His recent newspaper columns and articles include Social Media Privacy Law Impacts Employers, Should Employees Use Facebook at Work?, Privacy Rights Being Tested in the Digital Age, Digital Age Hiring Process Filled With Danger, Texting in the Workplace? Dangers Abound, Email Privacy Not a Guarantee in Workplace, and Worry About Workplace Prejudice? Clean Up. Mr. Lamoureux's work has also been published in the Providence Business News and Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly.
He successfully briefed and argued before the First Circuit Court of Appeals in a case confirming a surety's rights to indemnification. He was lead counsel in a successfully resolved certified class action regarding the demutualization of an insurance company before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Rhode Island, and served as trial co-counsel in one of the largest defense jury verdicts in the Federal District Court in Massachusetts.
Mr. Lamoureux has been honored for his achievements by the Providence Business News and was selected as a member of its 2011 40 Under Forty Class.
He earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from the Syracuse University College of Law, where he was a member of the Syracuse Law Review and Moot Court Honor Society. At the same time, he received a Master of Public Administration from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. He also holds a Master of Arts degree in Political Science from the University of Rhode Island, where he was a teaching assistant in American Government and International Relations, and a B.A. in Political Science, cum laude, from Providence College.
Prior to joining PLDW, Mr. Lamoureux was a litigation partner in a large international AMLaw 200 firm. He is admitted to practice in state and federal courts in Rhode Island and Massachusetts, and is qualified to serve as a receiver in Rhode Island Superior Court. Mr. Lamoureux is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate & Business
- Social Media Law
- Rhode Island, 2000
- Massachusetts, 1999
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Syracuse University College of Law, Syracuse, New York
- J.D. (Magna Cum Laude) - 1999
- Law Review: Syracuse Law Review
- Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University
- Master of Public Administration - 1999
- University of Rhode Island
- M.A. - 1996
- Major: Political Science
- Providence College
- B.A. (Cum Laude) - 1994
- Major: Political Science
- Panelist, Rhode Island Bar Association Annual Conference (social media law and strategy) (2013, 2015)
- Regular presenter to Catholic and public schools on cyberbullying and social media use by children
- Creator and Adjunct Assistant Professor, Digital and Social Media in the Business Environment (MBA 698), Providence College MBA Program
- Guest Speaker, The Conference Board, San Diego, February, 2012 (emerging social media and legal strategies)
- Panelist, Social Media and Marketing, Providence Business News Summits, March, 2011 and February, 2012
- Panelist, National Association of Settlement Purchasers Annual Conference (Las Vegas, Nevada, 2008)
- Lecturer, Constitutional Law (PSC 471), University of Rhode Island, 2004
- Frequent Presenter and Broadcast Commentator on Social Media and E-communications in the workplace
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rhode Island Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Member, Providence College National Alumni Association Council
- Member, PRISM (Professional Rhode Islanders Social Media Group)
- Member, St. Thomas More Society of Rhode Island